Tuesday, July 11, 2017

The Use of Instructional Design Practices in a Gamified Cirriculum: How UDLs are so important in Quest-Based Learning

What is a UDL?

The way in which one designs their instruction speaks volume about the instructor that they are, as well as the instructor that they will one day become. This is why there has been enormous amounts of research geared toward the best practices to successfully design instruction. These methods include, but are not limited to; Revised Blooms Taxonomy, A.D.D.I.E, and Merrill's First Principles of Instruction. But my favorite of them all is a method called Universal Design for Learning.

Universal Design for Learning is a instructional design framework that intentionally focuses on why, what, and how people learn. This framework uses the knowledge that scientist have both researched and proven to be the most effective ways of learning.

As most people already know, learning is not just a one way street. Everyone takes different routes to make it to the same destination. Hence, the overall goal and three main principles of this instructional design framework is: to use multiple means of representation, engagement, and action and expression to capitalize on ones learning experience. In layman's terms, this framework works to afford each and every student equal opportunity to learn through the usage of multiple learning venues. Take a look at the following picture below. It will give you a visual approach to understanding the above information.
http://udloncampus.cast.org/page/udl_about#.WWUB94jyvIU

Now take a look at this video as well. This will give you an auditory approach to understanding the above information.

This is an example of applying the UDL model. By presenting this information to you in multiple means, I have fulfilled one of the three main principles of the UDL framework; multiple means of representation.

Using a UDL in a Quest-Based Learning Environment.

As a high school math teacher, I am constantly research ways to enhance the learning of each of my students. My latest project is building a fully gamified learning environment, centered around quest based learning.

What is Quest-Based learning.

"Quest-based learning is an instructional design theory that leverages game mechanics and gamer-like learning communities to support student choice within the curriculum, and offers promising pedagogical possibilities in the area" (Chris Haskell, 2013). Simply put, quest based learning is taking the idea of our everyday games and applying those mechanics to an educational curriculum. Haskell points out these very specific features:

• Quest-based learning incorporates game mechanics, and gamer-like learning communities. 
• Game-based feedback tools like experience points, progress bars, badges, and achievements are motivating and meaningful to students. 
• Students in a quest-based course received higher grades overall when compared to traditional course. 
• Students do more work on average using quest-based learning. 
• On average, students complete quest-based learning design courses in less time than traditional courses. 
• Over 65% of students remain persistent in quest-based learning, continuing to quest beyond the minimum required to receive a “A.”

To learn more about quest-based learning, visit Understanding Quest-Based Learning.

Incorporating an UDL.

I began to build my quested-based learning curriculum in the early part of June. This was before I learned about the UDL instructional design. I simply built my framework off of the different experiences I've encountered as a 3rd year math teacher. I had no idea that I was essentially building my framework around the UDL instructional design.

As you know, the three main priciples of an UDL is to use multiple means of representation, engagement, and action and expression to capitalize on ones learning experience. But what we have not discussed as of yet, is how to apply an UDL. Consider the following checklist to help with applying an UDL:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/490962796860612408/

Which principles did I already incorporate and what can I improve?

One of the best features of the quest-based learning model is the ability to present the information in multiple ways. Before I decided to incorporate a quest-based learning model, I used a flipped classroom model. This is simply changing all lectures into video lesson where the students can view at home, allotting the full class time for practice. Due to my previously recorded video lessons I am able to present the material in multiple representations. Not only are the students given a video lesson to view and hear, they are also given several examples of the material through pictures and discussions. 

In addition to being able to learn the material in multiple ways, Quest-based learning allows me to foster choice in my classroom. For each individual standard, I build multiple quest that range in point value. Now the students can pick and choose which ever quest genuinely sparks their interest. The quest range in activities from writing entries, arts and crafts, online video games, to real world application. 

Another aspect of this framework that I have incorporated through quest-based learning, is ongoing feedback. Students, as they submit quest, are given written feedback on their material that they turn in. In addition, they are constantly earning points, gaining rank, and being awarded badges as they fulfill the desired requirements. Student no longer wait until they take a midweek quiz or unit test, they know exactly how they are doing each and everyday.

Although I have, in my opinion, very successfully incorporated an UDL into my quest-based learning framework, there are still a few aspects that I need to reconsider. One thing to consider is accommodating my EC students so that they are not penalized. One option that I have been thinking about, is building my quest around the priority standards vs the entire curriculum. 

This means that I would like to set up my quest based learning model in a way that each and every student are only "required" to complete the quest associated with the listed priority standards. This allows for the EC students to take their time and truly understand the standards that show up the most on state exams while still have a chance to successfully pass the class. It also allows for those students that have a very clear understanding of the material to keep moving forward to the "non-priority" standards without being held back. I do hope to gain a better insight as to how I can incorporate this change and still make it equitable to every student within my class.

Conclusion

Many teachers do not realize it, but they use bits and pieces of instructional designs that have been scientifically proven to be very successful. As I began to build my quest-based learning framework and research instructional design models, I realized that I was using a Universal Design for Learning frame work. The thee main principles of the framework are to use multiple means of representation, engagement, and action and expression to capitalize on ones learning experience. As I continue to build my quest based learning framework around the UDL model, I need to be sure to incorporate more accommodations so that my students are successful across the board, regardless of any learning disabilities or other setbacks!.








No comments:

Post a Comment