Thursday, May 3, 2018

Week of April 22nd Reflection

Last week I mentioned that I was thinking of making the Benchmark review Live Lesson a mandatory quiz grade. I brought this idea to my department and they agreed that this was a good idea and that everyone should try it. However, one small change was made. We wanted to see how we could maximize the amount of information we could get out to our students. Since we do two Live Lessons for math 1 on the same day, we decided to cover two different sets of material. Now, usually we cover the same information so that students are able to choose which LL to attend. This fosters a sense of choice and gives students some type of control over their learning environment. But we came to the conclusion that the students will attend whichever session they choose, and although they may not get all of the required information, any information is better than none.

I have to say, making the LL mandatory was the best decision that we could have ever made! My attendance was at an all time high. 100+ students both attended and participated. It was amazing!! There were plenty of great feedback from each student and they enjoyed playing the kahoot game. There are truly some competitive students here at NCCA! I was very happy and excited to teach class this Wednesday.

Looking back and reflecting on this, I'm pulled in both directions. One one side, I'd love to get this same amount of attendance and participation on a daily basis. So it would seem that I should make each LL mandatory for every student. But on the other hand, many of these students attends this online charter school due to the flexibility that it offers. So we would be completely wrong to try and take that away from them. Maybe as we continue to grow as a school, we can determine better ways to make the students feel a strong sense of responsibility for their LLs.

No comments:

Post a Comment